Saturday, August 13, 2016

When Your Mala Breaks

When Your Mala Breaks


Mala necklaces were traditionally used in Tibet as prayer beads. I started using a mala to help focus my mind in meditation and to receive the benefits of the healing crystals they are made with. I was taught to drape the beads over my middle finger, start at the “guru bead” by the tassel and using the thumb to move from one bead to the next while taking a slow deep breath at each bead. When I had completed 108 cycles of breath (for the 108 beads), it was about 15-20 minutes and my meditation was complete.

I wanted to create my own because I love crystals and beads and always have. The first mala I ever made took me FOREVER. Tying the knots between each bead was tough because I was teaching myself. There was a lot of trial and error and a lot of untying knots. I spent time to say a mantra at each knot. It took several sittings to complete it. Once I finished I had to find out how to make the tassel which was another learning experience. I gave that one away as a gift to a special friend. Then I made one that I decided to keep for myself. I picked crystals that I loved the color, look and healing properties of. I used it in meditation but kept it on my altar because I thought it was a little “weird” and too “spiritual” to wear. I would tuck in in my shirt to keep the crystals close to my heart but keep it hidden. I almost always wore it during healing sessions with clients and then took it off after. I set it out in the light of the full moon to recharge and cleanse it along with all of my other healing crystals. I rubbed essential oils on it too because the high frequency of crystals and oils work very well together. I took really good care of my special mala but kept it to myself.

Soon, I started noticing other people with malas and they were in stores, sold online and worn by yogis. I started to wear my mala wrapped on my wrist, doubled up around my neck or even long with the tassel hanging down low on the outside of my shirt. People commented on it and asked where they could get one. I couldn’t imagine making them for others since it was such a struggle to make mine. I was asked so many times, I took it as a sign and I started dedicating some time to make malas for others. Some were custom and some I would just make with a person in mind who had inquired and send them a picture asking if they liked it. I loved shopping for the crystal beads and expressing my creative side. I loved sharing my love of crystals, meditation and intention with others.

One day, I got an upset message from a friend. Their mala broke. I was sad too. I had never had mine break. Why and how could this have happened? I had them bring it back and I cut all the knots and re-made the whole thing. I did this a few times for people until I learned what it means when your mala breaks! 

When your mala breaks it feels terrible because it has become a part of you, it makes you feel good. But, when it breaks, this is a sign that the intention the mala was created for has shifted. It is a time of change and an opportunity for transformation, similar to when we get sick or injured. It is a time to go inside and see which direction you need to move in next. What have you learned? What is your new intention? This is a time to let go, heal and move forward. 

When I finally had my first mala break I was sad but with this understanding I quickly started to think about what my next mala should look like and represent. I was so excited to figure out what I wanted to create and make a new one!  I kept the broken one as a symbol of where I was at that time in my life. It is hard to move on but knowing it is for our highest and best good, makes it easier. The tough part is, you are always caught off guard when it breaks.

Last week we came home from the beach and Harper walked into her room and screamed. I went running back to find her whole room covered in torn pages of a favorite book (Picturepedia). We left our puppy in the house for a little too long and without enough exercise. Oops. This was our first experience with him destroying something big and making a huge mess. She sobbed and said, “I don’t care about the book as much as the mala that you made me.” She held in her hands the beautiful, delicate mala that I made for her birthday two years ago and she was devastated. It was all torn up. She had kept it by her bed when she wasn’t wearing it. I explained that I could make her another one when she was ready. Then, later that day, my mala broke while I was wearing it!! I don’t believe in coincidences. I think our malas breaking on the same day, hours apart, was serendipitous. I believe we are both going through a transition separately in our lives as she grows up and becomes more independent and together as we grow in our mother-daughter relationship. I am grateful for the understanding and acceptance of change and transition that can happen when we allow for it and I am looking forward to creating new intentions, new malas and a fresh start to a new phase in our lives.

We are all connected, so I feel like the malas breaking is a symbol of change and applies to everyone. Everyone who is ready and open to healing, transforming, growing, changing and evolving, in the face of what seems like a disappointing situation, not just me and Harper. I was inspired to do a juice cleanse this week and just realized as I was writing this, how appropriate it is. Cleansing the physical body helps to reset us and make transitions easier. Our minds become clearer and we are more in tune.  As we move out of summer and into fall we have a big transition in our lives with back to school, changing weather, and new routines. I used to resist change and curse “bad” things that happened in my life, (I still do sometimes) but I am grateful for the opportunity to go with the flow of life, when I can, and realize that we are all here to experience what serves us for our highest and best good. Hope this helps someone see the light at the end of the tunnel or accept a life-change today.

Love & light,

Kelowna

2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful piece. I love listening to your divine intuition.

    ReplyDelete